Italiano - English
HOME > Identity and History > Exhibitions history

Identity and History

Exhibitions history

The donation
In 1916 Villa delle Rose was donated to Comune di Bologna by the Countess Nerina Armandi di Avogli and was intended to become a modern art gallery.

Historic facts about the exhibitions
The villa was opened to the public only in 1925 with a collection of around 160 pieces, almost all of the 19th century. In 1936 the exhibited works, after an accurate selection, belonged exclusively to the 20th century.
During World War II, the villa was at first a hospital and then headquarters of the German troops.
It was reopened in 1946 and closed again in 1974 when the seat of GAM was built in the Fiera District area.
From 1989, after a significant restoration, the villa was reopend as exhibition outhouse of Galleria d'Arte Moderna.