Italiano - English
HOME > History and Identity

History and Identity

Casa Morandi is the home-atelier where the Bolognese artist lived and worked from 1910 to 1964, situated in via Fondazza 36 (Bologna).
The house where Giorgio Morandi lived and worked from 1910 to 1964 was opened to the public on 17th October 2009.
In via Fondazza 36, vases, bottles, shells and study models find their original collocation in the atelier and in the store-room, which have been reconstructed so as to appear as they were at the time when the artist lived.
Alongside the furnishings of the family and part of the collection of the ancient art works that belonged to Morandi, there is a huge part of the donation that Carlo Zucchini, guarantor of the house, generously transmitted to the city of Bologna.

The renovation
The project of renovation of the house, assigned to the architect Massimo Iosa Ghini, has been carried out thanks to Comune di Bologna and the essential support of Unindustria Bologna.

Set-up. library and multi-purpose room
In the atelier an interesting path has been realised: through an accurate selection of photos, books and documents of different types displayed in elegant cases, it narrates the main phases of the life of the master, from the relationships with the family, to the artistic education, from the encounters with characters of the world of cinema and art to the work in his studio.
Audio-video installations, a library with more than 600 volumes that can be read upon booking, a multi-purpose room dedicated to meetings, seminars and cultural activities, contribute to deepen and to update the figure and the work of the great Bolognese artist.

 

Ph Roberto Serra